If you are looking for anti snoring devices, you may have come across Zyppah reviews online. I did too!
What astounded me the most when I first came across Zyppah, (Zee pah), was its stylish, sleek look. Compared to the many MAD’s in the market, the black and neon green colours of Zyppah were an instant attention magnet.
Another feature that makes the anti snore device stand out is the tongue stabilizing strap (also known as was the phenomenal Z-flex technology). The strap stretches horizontally at the back of the device from one side to the other. The tongue stabilization and jaw adjustment functionality makes Zyppah a premium snoring treatment device.
Zyppah Reviews: Overview of the Anti Snoring Device
Let’s take a look at some Zyppah highlights:
- The stop snoring product was invented by Dr. Jonathan Greenburg, a distinguished dentist with over 30 years of experience. As an undergrad student, Dr. Greenburg had studied bio-engineering. The established doctor has spent more than 10 years studying snoring and sleep apnea. Currently,Dr. Greenburg owns five “Snore No More” centres that handle CPAP intolerance, sleep apnea and snoring. The centers are across California in Newport Beach, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, Valencia and Encino,
- Currently, there are two Zyppah models available on the market. An over-the-counter version that consumers can purchase without prescription online and a Custom-fit prescribed. While you need a doctor’s appointment in any of the five “Snore No More” centres to get the prescribed version fit, you don’t need to go through the hassle for the other version. However, the over-the-counter model only treats snoring.
- The Zyppah custom-fit version uses a mandibular advancement feature together with an elastic band. The jaw advancement tightens the muscle and the tissues at the distal end of the throat. On the other hand, the elastic band helps keep the tongue from blocking air passage when you are sleeping.
How Zyppah Works
Watch the video below to find out how Zyppah works:
Does Zyppah work for Sleep Apnea?
As I said earlier, the over-the-counter version (available on the Internet) only treats snoring and NOT sleep apnea disorder.
Zyppah is used solely for reducing or eliminating snoring sounds. The anti snoring mouthpiece doesn’t address any present underlying cause.
Like other OTC oral medications, you should talk to your doctor about your condition. Only a specialized medic can tell whether you have a medical sleep disorder, like central sleep apnea, obstructive sleep apnea, or both, or you are just a snorer. It is dangerous to prescribe for yourself an OTC device for treating your sleep disorder without consulting your doctor.
If you study the Zyppah website, you will realize that the term “sleep apnea” has not been mentioned even once. The reason for this is quite simple; Zyppah is designed only for treating a medical condition that has been well diagnosed.
Zyppah Reviews: Adjustability, Comfort and Fit
The first thing that comes to mind when you look at Zyppah anti snore device is the word “torture contraption”. It takes some days to get used to Zyppah, just like other anti-snore devices. However, although Zyppah is new in the market, many people who have tried it said it took them about one week to be comfortable with. Most people applaud Zyppah for decreasing their snoring noticeably once they got used to it.
Some people have raised concern over the tongue-stabilizing strap that they fear could set off the gag reflex. However, this should not be a cause for concern. Don’t overthink about your reflex being suppressed. The elastic band has been placed strategically such that it won’t interfere with your gag reflex. Since Zyppah’s release in the market more than a year ago, very few users have complained of this concern.
Zyppah also uses “boil and bite” technology. This makes the piece that attaches to the teeth surface fitting and comfortable. To use the snoring mouthpiece, you need to place it in hot water, remove it and let it cool before placing it in your mouth. When in the mouth, bite down and hold to make an impression. The material will adopt its shape to your bite while it cools.
Zyppah antisnore device is capable of jaw advancement. If you need to adjust the device, consult your dentist or check out other gadgets.
Zyppah Reviews from Me and Other Customers
When a friend first told me about Zyppah, I was very doubtful about trying it. And why wouldn’t I be? I was being recommended a tongue stabilizing strap looking like a colourful rubber band, and I was supposed to believe that it could hold my tongue in place?
Don’t get me wrong. I had tried quite a few other tongue stabilizing, anti-snoring products like Good Morning Snore Solution that worked by holding the tongue forward. They place the tip of your tongue into a device that resembled a pacifier with a sanction bulb at the tip. The bulb, when squeezed, draws the tongue forward and holds in place.
But the Zyppah works in a different manner. It uses a soft strap that resembles a rubber to hold the tongue down and in place.
Being me, I decided to put this gadget to the test instead of plainly dismissing it. I ordered my Zyppah and USPS shipped it in three days. On arrival, the box carrying it was the first thing that mesmerized me. It was a sleek box with flashing bright white, yellow and green shades. The phrase “8 hours of sleep & n0 snoring” were proudly scribbled on the top of it.
Opening the box, I found an instruction manual, a storage case and the device. The whole thing was impressive. The instruction manual was comprehensive and easy to understand. Within about 5 minutes I had gone over it and understood it perfectly. With this done, I was ready to give my very first fit a try.
The fitting process was just like is with the other devices, except for the tray design. Standard “boil and bite” MADs devices have some kind of recessed tray with walls that get your teeth in the correct fitting position. The Zyppah device doesn’t have this. Ensure therefore, that you read the instruction guide to get a correct fit. You will have to use a mirror to make sure that the upper and lower teeth are put accordingly before biting down and taking an impression, now that you don’t have the recessed tray.
Here is an overview of the fitting instructions. Study the package instruction manual for more accurate instructions.
How to Fit Zyppah RX
What you will need:
- Zyppah RX
- A pot with water in it (warm)
- A pair of tongs or slotted spoon
- A mirror
- A stop watch
- A mug of cold water
The Fitting Process
- Carefully remove Zyppah from its package and rinse it well with warm water from the pot. To feel the device better, place in it your mouth and follow these instructions.
- Heat the water in the pot until it gets to a boiling point. Then, remove the water from fire and leave for one minute or so before proceeding.
- Using a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon, dip the mouthpiece in the hot water for 45 to 60 seconds, but while holding it under water so that it kind of floats naturally.
- Next, remove the device from the hot water carefully and let it cool for 20 seconds. At this point, the thermoplastic material is very soft and quiet sticky, so you should be very careful with it. I recommend handling it by the hard plastic portion or the rubber strap as I did mine.
- Check the Zyppah mouthpiece carefully before continuing your fit. The side that has the inscription “Zyppah” is the lower tray. You will see that it rests slightly in front of the upper tray.
Look into a mirror and ensure that the lower teeth-line butts right up against where the harder back plastic meets the softer green thermoplastic. Next, place the device into your mouth.
Once aligned, stretch your jaw forward until the outer edge of the upper teeth is resting against the upper tray area where the hard and soft plastic meet. Then, firmly bite down and hold for one minute. You will feel your teeth sink into the soft green thermoplastic.
- After about one minute, carefully remove the anti snore device and drop it into the cold water mug or run it under a cold water tap for about 1 minute.
- Once it has cooled, check it for fit. In case it doesn’t fit perfectly, repeat all the above steps, starting with reheating the gadget.
Zyppah Verdict: Many Nights Without Snoring
For two weeks straight, I put the Zyppah to test to control my snoring. The first thing I realized on the first day I put it on was that the front open air holes on the device made it easy for me to breath freely.
After using Zyppah for about 4 days, I realized that my jaws felt a bit sore when I woke up in the morning. But each day I felt the soreness, it receded within an hour. Several days later, the sore feeling went away completely. I also drooled a couple of nights. But this also stopped after sometime. You can expect these side effects when you start using Zyppah. However, you can be sure that they will end after a few days of use.
I purchased a denture cleaning tablet that I used to clean the Zyppah gadget every morning. I soaked it temporarily, then allowed it to air dry before putting it back once again.
Zyppah Reviews: Does it really work?
Yes, I can testify that the Zyppah was absolutely effective in controlling my snoring.
I think the jaw advancement feature played the bigger role in controlling my snoring. However, it’s also possible the tongue stabilizing strap also helped. Maybe if your snoring is caused mainly from a relaxed tongue, the tongue stabilizing strap will benefit you more.
How much does Zyppah cost?
Originally, this device was sold for 123$. But today, you can get one for 89.95$ with FREE shipping.
Having been introduced to the market in June, 2012, Zyppah has quickly climbed to the top of the “stop snoring device” industry. This might partly be because the dentist who designed it was a veteran with a biomedical engineering degree.
This device has been proven to eliminate snoring by using both tongue stabilization and mandibular repositioning. It’s also more comfortable and less obtrusive than most anti snoring devices in the industry.
The soft silicon-like material used on it is comfortable! Oh, and did you know what Zyppah really means? Try spelling it backwards. You will also be thrilled to learn that it has been endorsed by Bob Eubanks.
- Being a top notch product, Zyppah is costlier than most stop snoring devices in the market.
- The mandibular advancement setting cannot be adjusted, though it has an overall appealing look the unique tongue strap is also a plus.
Which is the best mouthpiece for me?
The “stop snoring” industry has hundreds of different products. I have evaluated many of these products and came up with a list of devices I recommend to help you make a decision.
Zyppah Reviews from Actual customers
At first I didn’t think this device was going to be comfortable because of the tongue suppressor but I was willing to give it a shot. Zyppah turned out to work fantastic and it was actually more comfortable than some of the other M.A.D. that I’ve tried. I did break the device though. I broke it within the trial period.