I know how much you would like to confine your bedroom “problems” to your bedroom. Trust me, everyone does. In particular, people who struggle with the snoring problem, either their own or that of a loved one, find it embarrassing to discuss the particulars of their problems.
I want to assure you that you are not the only one having sleepless nights due to snoring. And you don’t have to keep up with that problem either.
People who have not come across this snoring dilemma will not exactly understand how big a problem it is. But I can identify with you. The major problem that results from snoring is that your productivity cannot match those who don’t snore (or don’t sleep next to people that snore.)
The rattle-sawing-like noises make it difficult for one to have a sound sleep, or sufficient sleep for that matter.
The human body cannot work for long hours without resting. So, if you can’t get sufficient, quality sleep, the body fails. This is why you should consult your doctor or a sleep expert about your condition or that of your loved one.
Snoring is a health condition that not only affects you but also those you share a bed, a room or even a house with.
Causes of Snoring: Why do People Snore?
Most people snore because they sleep with their mouth open. These people depend on their mouth for breathing at night. Because of this, it will always unconsciously open.
When your mouth is open while you are unconscious, the soft palate in the neck region vibrates as a result of the air passage being narrow. Consequently, the air passage may be temporarily blocked. This leads to sounds being produced when you sleep.
Snoring sounds are not just unpleasant; they also keep you from getting quality sleep. Even worse, snoring noises affect those sleeping close to you.
Another risk of snoring is that it can lead to Obstructive Sleep Apnea. This is a serious, life-threatening medical condition.
The good news is that you don’t have to let your snoring problem get that far. You can find an effective anti-snoring solution to combat your problem as soon as possible.
#. Anti Snoring Sprays
Anti snoring sprays are among the anti-snore solutions that some snorers have found effective. The sprays come in different forms including oral sprays, nasal sprays or both. The anti snore sprays work by targeting the throat. Examples of effective throat sprays in the market are Rhynil, Nytol, Snore Zip and Snore Relief.
Read our review of the best snoring sprays here.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Snoring Aid
There are several factors that you must put into consideration before deciding on the best snoring aid for your particular use. These include:
- The Doctors Advice: Although you can easily get a snoring aid without a prescription, consider discussing your condition with a doctor or some other sleep specialist to know their recommendation.
- The severity of your snoring: While snoring could just be a simple problem, it could also be an indication to an underlying more serious condition like Obstructive Sleep Apnea. If your snoring is just a simple problem, it would be a loss to acquire a more serious snoring machine. On the other hand, OSA needs more prompt medication.
- Lifespan of the snoring aid: If two snoring aids serve the same purpose, then it would be a wise decision to buy the one with a long lifespan rather than the one with a short life span. One of the features you should look out for before buying include the durability of the mouthpiece. This will determine how regularly you will need replacements.
- The materials used in making the snoring aid: Some people are extremely sensitive to some types of materials. For example, if you are latex–sensitive, make sure that the machine you purchase will not tick off your allergies.
- Your medical history: If you have some other medical condition, go for a machine that will not worsen it. For example, if you have TMJ, you need to critically evaluate the snoring aid you want to buy.
- The effectiveness of the snoring aid. Some snoring aids have more success rate than others. Check out reviews and look out for recommendations of theses snore aids to increases your chances of stopping snoring.
- The cause of your snoring. People snore due to different reasons. For example, you could be snoring due to your sleeping position, your mouth being open when you are asleep, or your nose getting blocked. Different devices address snoring differently depending on its causes.
- Compatibility with other devices. This applies to people who are already having other dental devices, for instance dentures or retainers. Some snoring aids that are compatible with these devices and others are not. Find out the compatibility of the snoring aid so that you dont end up in worse pain.
- Comfort. The main reason you are going for a sleeping aid is so that you have a more restful sleep. Choose a sleeping aid that wont make you even more fatigued when you wake up in the morning.
- The type of snorer that you are. There are two types of snorers; nose snorers and mouth snorers. Snoring aids like nasal sprays and chin straps that are effective only for specific types of snorers
- Cost. Make sure that the snoring aid that you purchase doesn’t plunge you into debt.