The best indications for teeth grinding disorder (bruxism) are pain in the jaw, severe headaches in the morning, and deteriorating teeth enamel. However, it is recommended that you consult a dental professional to make the diagnosis for bruxism. Being diagnosed with bruxism is not a death sentence. The invention of mouth guards has now made it possible for you to get relief from your teeth grinding nightmares.
One provider, whose main goal is not only to prevent your teeth from more damage but also to give you a permanent smile is Sporting Smiles. Sporting Smiles Dental Lab offers very affordable custom-made quality nightguards that can last you years of â€˜no waking up with a headache.â€™
There is a range of 6 mouth guards that you can choose from. Since the night guards are non-fit-for-all sizes, sporting smiles will help you come up with ones that are customized for your jaw and teeth.
How Does Sporting Smiles Work?
When you purchase a mouth guard from Sporting Smiles online, the first mail that is sent to you is a self-impression dental kit. The package containing the kit also contains:
- A pair of dental impression material
- An adjustable impression tray
- An Instructions sheet
- A return bag
- Pre-paid postage return label
- Return form
You are required to read and understand the instructions and then promptly follow them to make your dental impression. Your skills and how keenly you follow the instructions will determine the quality of your impression.
How to Make an Impression
- Brush your teeth and wash your hands with a detergent before beginning the process.
- Pull the lower and upper half of the tray apart until it can perfectly fit your mouth. If necessary, break off some pieces at the ends of the plastic tray to make it smaller. Ensure that the teeth are at the center of the impression tray.
- Mix the pair of impression material thoroughly until it is uniform in color. This should be done in not more than 20 seconds.
- Mold the material into a 5-inch tube then place it inside the tray.
- Gently, but firmly press the tray to your teeth ensuring that your teeth are placed evenly in the impression material.
- After about 4 minutes, the material will harden. During this time, try not to move the teeth around. You can then remove the material when you feel itâ€™s hard.
- Using a single motion, pull the tray up or down and remove it.
- Pack the impression in the bag provided and then mail it in the lab.
Once the lab receives your impression, a qualified and experienced lab technician will start the process of making your customized mouth guards. The staff at Sporting Smiles is highly skilled and will ensure that the final mouth guards that will be sent to you are of exceptional quality.
Sporting Smiles Mouth Guards
#1. Custom Flexible Super Hard Night Guard
This clenching mouth guard by Sporting Smiles is made of a flexible but extremely strong material. So, although it may resemble a soft guard, it can survive extremely strong teeth grinding. The guard provides the same comfort as the Dual Laminate Guard, even with its strong make.
This night guard model is perfect for people with moderate to severe teeth clenching or grinding.
#2. Dual Laminate Teeth Grinding Night Guard
The Dual Laminate Night Guard has two parts; an inside layer and an outside one. The inside layer is a soft and comfortable 0.04mmÂ material, while the outside layer is a rigidand durable 2mm material. This night guard is ideal or bruxism patients suffering from light to moderate teeth clenching and moderate to severe teeth grinding.
Instead of the usual vacuum used by competitors to make teeth guards, Sporting Smiles makes this laminate from positive pressure forming machines. This ensures that the guard fits perfectly
#3. Single Hard Night Teeth Grinding Guard
The Single Hard Night Teeth Grinding Guard is made from one layer of clear 0.04-inch ultra-thin, solid hard laminate. The guard is ideal for light bruxism or teeth grinding and a perfect solution for people who fear the feeling of a full mouth when sleeping.
#4. Soft Night Teeth Grinding Guard
This night guard model is soft and features one layer of clear 0.12-inch-thick soft laminate material. The guard is available for both the upper and lower teeth and is ideal for heavy clenching and light teeth grinding.
#5. Custom Flexible Super Hard Day Guard (Back cut)
The â€œBack Cutâ€ Custom Flexible Super Hard Day Guard is trimmed to provide comfort. The guard is made from a strong and flexible material. Although it resembles a soft guard, this model can withstand a lot of pressure that results from clenching or teeth grinding. The material used to make it is flexible and more comfortable than that used for the normal dual laminate guards.
This night guard is perfect for people, who have moderate to severe, and extremely severe grinding and clenching. It is the strongest night guard in the range of night guards produced by Sporting Smiles.
#6. Dual Laminate Teeth Grinding Day Guard Back Cut
The Dual Laminate Back Cut night guard has been trimmed (back cut) for enhanced comfort. It is designed of two materials combined together (a soft interior layer, 0.04 inch thick and a 0.08-inch-thick hard external layer).
The night guard is comfortable to the teeth and jaws but is also strong and durability.Â This guard is perfect for use during the day and for people with light to severe grinding problems.
How Do I Choose the Right Guard?
Ideally, you should not diagnose yourself with bruxism. So, assuming your condition has been confirmed by a medical expert, you know what severity of Bruxism (teeth grinding) you suffer from.
Sporting Smiles night guards are designed to either help with teeth clenching or grinding. Some are also designed to work for both cases. Here is a quick list to help you choose the ideal guard:
- Heavy Grinders or Moderate Teeth clenching – Dual Laminate Night Guard (II or IV). Made of 0.12 inches thick (soft inner layer 0.04 inches thick and 0.08 hard outer layer).
- Sever night grinders and strong teeth clenching – Hard Flexible Night Guard (I or V). This is made of a dense material 0.12 inches thick and is extremely flexible. It gives maximum protection to the teeth.
- Light Grinding – Single Layer Hard Night Guard (No. III). This is designed of a 0.04-inch material and is perfect for people who are looking for thin guards as opposed to the bulky designs.
- Light teeth grinding and Clenching – Soft Night Guard. (No. IV) This offers the perfect combination of comfort and protection for people suffering from both light teeth grinding and clenching.
- Most people prefer the upper guard to the lower guard since it touches the tongue less. Some patients say wearing the lower guard leads to better sleep. The decision for purchasing either the upper or lower guard should, therefore, be made based on preferences. However, you should also consider the teeth that are less damaged, which need more protection.
Sporting Smiles Dental Lab Night Guard Features
- The products are made by a qualified and experienced lab technician and then checked by a professional dentist to ensure quality.
- All the products from Sporting Smiles are BPS, DEHP, Latex and BPA free.
- Individual night guards are custom made and therefore perfectly fit and individual customersâ€™ teeth.
- Customersâ€™ are provided with easy to comprehend instructions which they use to make the teeth impressions from the comfort of their homes.
- The manufacturer gives a 30-day satisfaction guarantee for all the products.
- The brand provides six night guards that for all types of teeth grinding or clenching.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- The six different guards cover all intensities of teeth grinding and clenching.
- Although they are customized for individual users, they are still cheaper than custom guards from dentists.
- The company offers an attractive discount for re-orders. When you order another guard within a year of your initial order, the lab will use your impression and still give you a 30% discount.
- The impression kit that is sent for making your impression is adequately packed.
- The manufacturer gives a 30 days satisfaction guarantee for every product purchased.
- Sporting Smiles does not charge you for shipping their products and the delivery of the items is swift.
- The ordering process is impersonal and does not involve direct dentist consultation. However, this is compensated by the qualified dentist supervision and the low prices.
- The dental impression made will depend on the customersâ€™ ability to read, understand, and follow the instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What happens if I ruin my teeth impression?
If you donâ€™t mix the impression material as fast as you should (in less than 20 seconds), and allow it to harden before pressing it on your teeth, the quality of your impression will be poor. It might also tend to stick strongly to the impression tray and be destroyed as you remove it. If this happens, donâ€™t panic! Contact the manufacture and you will be sent a replacement impression kit for free.
- If I had a night grinding guard before, can I order for another one and not go through making the impression?
Sporting Smiles will keep your impression for one year. If you order for another guard within the year or shortly after, you will be given a 30% discount for the regular price and your dental impression will be used to make your new dental guard.
- How long will it take for me to receive my night guard?
Generally, how soon your night guard will reach you depends on your specific location. However, it generally takes two business weeks after the lab receives your impression for your night guard to be made and shipped to you.
- Does Sporting Smiles Ship Internationally?
Yes, Sporting Smiles ships internationally free of charge. When you receive your dental impression, you will also find a pre-paid postage. However, this only works within US. If you live outside the US you will be required to mail your teeth impression to the manufacturer at your own cost. Also, international shipping can be slow and length and will therefore call for your patience.
- Does Sporting Smiles offer any guarantee on their products?
Yes, the manufacturer gives a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. If you are not happy with your night guard within this time, you can return the original one back and the manufacturer will send you a new one free of charge.
- After how long will I need to purchase a replacement night guard?
The night guards from Sporting Smiles are made of high-quality material and will therefore last you long if well taken care of. However, durability will also be dependent on your teeth grinding ad clenching habits. The night guards are made to last for between six months to five years.
- Should I purchase the upper or the lower teeth guard?
The night guard that you choose will wholly depend on your preference. However, the general rule is that you should purchase a night guard for the teeth that are less damaged. There are teeth grinders that prefer a lower night guard as they claim it makes them sleep better, and there are those who find the upper night guard more comfortable as it gets into less contact with the tongue.
- How do I tell which night guard model is best for me?
The first thing that will help you in the decision of the Sporting Smiles teeth guard to purchase is the intensity of your teeth grinding habits.Â You should also consider the frequency of your teeth grinding habits, and whether you only grind your teeth or you grind your teeth and at the same time clench them. There are night guards that mainly focus on teeth grinding and those that mainly focus on teeth clenching, but there are also those that address both issues. For example, Hard Flexible Night Guard is perfect for sever clenching and grinding, while Dual laminate is perfect for moderate clenching and heavy grinding. You can refer to our table for the night teeth guard recommended for specific intensities of bruxism and teeth TMJ.
- Are the teeth guards safe for use by children?
Children under the age of 16 are prohibited from using over-the-counter custom guards (ordered online) since their dental formula is not fully developed. If you suspect that your child might be suffering from Bruxism or TMJ, make a dentist appointment to ensure that the condition is well diagnosed and treated appropriately.
- How safe are the materials used in making Sporting Smiles products?
Teeth guards from Sporting Smiles, and other products, have been proven to be completely safe for use. They are BPS, BPA, DEHP and latex free.
- Why are Sporting Smiles Nigt Guards Cheaper than those from a Dentist?
First of all, the dentists donâ€™t make the night guards. What they do is make the impression of your teeth and then send it to be manufactured at a lab. The labs usually use the best dental 3D printers to make the molds.
This process compels them to charge you more to carter for all the fees levied.Â Since Sporting Smiles has a certified dental lab, they only require the impressions from the customer to make the customized mouth guard. This is why the cost is greatly cut.
- What is Expedited or RUSH order?
RUSH or Expedited order means choosing Priority Mail shipping. With this shipping option, instead of the usual 2 weeks arrival, your parcel will come to you in one week. This is, however, at an extra cost.